ISO 9001 is the international standard that specifies requirements for a Quality Management System (QMS). These standards are published by ISO (the International Organization for Standardization). Most recently the standard was updated in 2015, and therefore, it is referred to as ISO 9001:2015.
Organizations or industries of any size or any company can certify themselves with ISO 9001:2015.
ISO 9001 is recognized as the basis for any company to create a system to ensure customer satisfaction and improvement. Therefore many corporations and customers require this certification from their suppliers.
Key points of ISO 9001 are –
- ISO 9001 is a process-based standard. Organizations can use it to control organizational processes, to meet the desired results for their end products.
- ISO 9001 can be implemented in any organization irrespective of size.
- Except for very few industries; all manufacturing, service, entertainment, hospitality industries, etc. can be get certified with ISO 9001:2015.
- To become ISO 9001 certified, your organization must follow the quality management standards suggested by ISO on a continuous basis.
- After certification, every year surveillance audit is conducted by the certification body.
- Every three years, an audit is conducted by a certification body, to cross-check the ISO 9001 requirements in organizations. If only everything goes fine and the organization passes the audit, then the only certification is issued.